Content Framework for Higher Education Leadership Programmes for Central Universities, State Universities and Institutes of National Importance in collaboration with TISS - Download detailed document
The leadership programmes will focus mainly on following training areas:
- Governance: a critical examination of the principles and practices of both institutional and sectoral governance and other models of institutional governance.
- Strategy: the choices that an institution has made, what plans it has for future and thinking about the institutional strategy within a wider organizational context,
- Managing people in a learning organization: examining the distinctive characteristics of human resource management and organizational development in the institutional context.
- Managing teaching and research: understanding the core values and fundamentals of an institution and what makes these activities effective.
- Physical and financial resources: how management of the university’s physical and financial resources can be integrated with broader institutional objectives and outreach.
- Marketing: how different activities of the university make up for the marketing function and how they can relate to institutions’ academic work.
- International collaboration: how in an increasingly globalized world institutional managers can position their institution.
Some of the specific themes to be covered in the curriculum of the leadership training programmes would be:
- History of HE in India
- Federal and state systems of HE in India
- Leadership Strategies for better performance management and governance functions : delegation of responsibilities and decentralization, balancing accountability and autonomy, assessing institutional performance, using technology for better governance, strategic and transformation leadership and other kinds of leadership, specific types of leadership strategies, rational decision making, managing interpersonal relationships (including conflict management), communication strategies, nurturing talent.
- Financing for HE
- Students and student development
- Institutional Research and Strategic Planning
- Curriculum and curricular development
The detailed content framework of HELA leadership programmes has been developed on the basis of needs assessment conclaves held at Kolkata, Bhubaneshwar, Guwahati, Raipur, Dehradun, Chennai, Patna and Goa. In these conclaves, group discussions with different levels of HE leaders was conducted to gain inputs and suggestions on content and delivery mechanism. HELA’s content framework also incorporated inputs from Indian and international experts.